Happy 2007 [Monday, Dec. 31, 2007, 6:41 pm]
It's not that I'm eager to get back to school, but, um, things are a little slow around here for a New Year's Eve. Well, my dad got egg nog. That's something.
I wonder if, contrary to popular belief, chocolate actually does make the brain sluggish. If not, I can't imagine why my brain is so not working tonight. In the meantime, generic end-of-the-year lists! Yay!
So... It is the end of 2007. Let's look back over some of the more highlighty highlights of the year.
- I completed my Junior year of college. In fact, I've completed all but my final semester of my undergraduate work. That's kinda scary.
- My sister graduated from high school in June :-)
- Family gatherings have been big highlights, as usual. This summer, my uncle and cousin flew out from Texas for a visit. Later in the fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas were good times, despite some sickness. Thirteen guests for Christmas was quite awesome.
- Also marred slightly by sickness was the Newsboys concert in November, which was still a good deal of fun for those who went - As was Recycled Percussion in March. And Weird Al in August was amazing - a pretty great birthday present if I do say so myself.
- A snow day on Valentine's Day was awesome - as was sledding on cafeteria trays and our 4-movie marathon afterwards.
- I moved in to Robie Hall and have lived in the immediate vicinity of some awesome friends :-)
- Well, this has little to do with me, but the Red Sox won the World Series, and the Patriots went 16-0. It's a good time to be a New Englander!
- Going to Salem again was fun, especially since we knew where we were going this time. Especially exciting was the New England Pirate Museum :-)
- Being the treasurer for Intervarsity has been fun, and the fund-raising we did around Christmas was a great time of fellowship and charity.
- Lots of late-night study parties that were more like study breaks ;-), movie nights, evening trips to Hannaford, trips to the mall, pizza parties in the mail room, Olive Garden, sitting randomly in the hallway, running down the hallway, doing cartwheels in the hallway, and that cork that just didn't want to come out... Yes, fun times in the dorm :-)
- Car troubles. 'Nuff said.
- Some medical troubles with family members, who are both doing quite better now, which is a great thing.
- Decisions, decisions. Never fun.
In the field of movies, here are some of my favorite discoveries of the year:
Meet the Robinsons
Reign Over Me
From other years:
Arsenic and Old Lace
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Night at the Museum
Robin Hood - Men in Tights
The Sixth Sense
Stranger than Fiction
Walk the Line
I suppose movies were our alternative to the other kind of partying during weekends :-)
Musical discoveries of 2007:
Strong Bad :-D
Books I've read in 2007:
The Aeneid, Virgil
Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow
At the Foot of Heaven, Kevin Max and Jimmy Abegg
Catch-22, Joseph Heller
A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole
Erec & Enide, Chretien de Troyes
Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Hrafnkel's Saga, and other tales
Indeed I was Pleased with the World, Mary Ruefle
The Lais of Marie de France
Lord of the Flies, William Golding
The Persians [play], Aeschylus
The Poem of the Cid
Prince Caspian, C.S. Lewis (re-read)
A Room with a View, E.M. Forster
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
The Spiritual Journey of George Washington, Janice Connell
The Song of Roland
The Theogony, and Works and Days, Hesiod
Tristan, Gottfried von Strassburg
The Turn of the Screw, Henry James
The Twelve Caesars, Suetonius
Villette, Charlotte Bronte
What Would Wally Do?, Scott Adams
White Noise, Don Delillo
Yvain, Knight of the Lion, Chretien de Troyes
Ah, it has been a good year. An enlightening year. A year of friends and food and study and car troubles and work and mistakes and decisions... and growth. So it's most definitely been worth-while, and I'm certainly glad to welcome in 2008 - I'm sure it will be even better :-)
wander -- travel
Vitality - Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2009
Soulfest 2009 - Sunday, Aug. 02, 2009
Politics and Poverty - Friday, Jul. 24, 2009
Michael Jackson - Monday, Jun. 29, 2009
Elegy for Spotty - Wednesday, Jun. 24, 2009