"American arrogance" [Friday, Aug. 13, 2004, 6:40 pm]
I want everyone who reads this to ask me 3 questions, no more no less. Ask me anything you want. Really. I'll answer anything. Then I want you to go to your journal, copy and paste this allowing your friends (including myself) to ask you anything.
From PippinsGirl. I did it to her, so I suppose I had to add it to my diary, just to make it fair ;-)
What shall I talk about today? How about liberal media. At the moment, I'm rather upset that so many people are so willing to believe every single thing they hear on the major news networks.
Because somehow, a lot of people have got this idea in their heads that everyone else in the world who isn't American, hates us Americans, and it's all our fault.
Sometimes it puzzles me why Americans are mainly the ones trying to pass this idea along. Especially when 90% of Iraqis want us "horrible, bloodthirsty" Americans to stay there and help them re-build their country. The other 10% are the most reported on, and they're the ones who favor terrorism anyway - which I thought was something we were trying to wipe out (Sept. 11th - remember?).
Anyway, I oughta know at least a little something about this. I lived outside America for 5 years, in Britain. While there, we took a month-long trip around the continent of Europe.
We met a lot of people. And all of them could tell right off the bat that we were Americans.
But you know what? Not once, during my entire stay in Europe, do I remember even one single incident of anyone being anything less than friendly to us. The people were wonderful. Especially the Scots - they were just such sweet, helpful people.
Sure, if we had just marched into Europe with this ridiculous "We're the kings of the world because we're American" attitude, then I wouldn't have blamed people for not treating us courteously. There's no excuse for being arrogant like that.
But we were just a family that was genuinely interested in visiting other countries and cultures, and meeting the people there. We made so many good friends, and have so many wonderful memories of our time there.
Sure, some people in other countries hate us. But that's because they don't like what we stand for - freedom. Ever notice that immigrants aren't exactly lining up to get into Iraq, like they are to get into this country?
When these news networks are trying to further this idea that every single person in the entire world hates us, don't believe it. It just isn't true. And I know that first-hand.
-LotR: Return of the King trailer-
Vitality - Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2009